Friday, January 26, 2007

The pursuit of happiness

Is being happy in the moment really that hard? I'm a happy person with a lot to be grateful for, but I often find myself saying things like, "I'd be so much happier if..." I remember in that movie The Hours Meryl Streep was talking about the happiest she'd ever been. I can't remember the exact scene or her exact words, but she said something like she remembers the time when she realized, "Oh my gosh. This is the happiest I've ever been." And it was just for that moment. She realized that real happiness isn't necessarily a period of your life; it can simply be one exact moment in time. Maybe I need to think about happiness as something that happens within the moment, like when I'm in camel pose or when Cody and I are watching Grey's Anatomy or when I'm praying or whenever really, instead of thinking of it as I have been--that it's something I should strive for or achieve in my life. There's a quote that says, "In the pursuit of happiness, the hard part is knowing when you've caught up." I think even if you're going through a rough time in your life, you can still experience moments of happiness and vice-versa. So, maybe pursuiing happiness is something that is an ongoing process, and just know that once you reach it, you could experience it for just a moment, but that you will experience it over and over and over again.

------------
I had a goal to lose five pounds before February. I've lost seven. When I stepped on the scale this morning, I experienced a moment of happiness...I ain't gonna lie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home