Monday, January 22, 2007

Laissez les bon temps rouler

After Vince Young announced that he was going to the NFL instead of finishing college at UT, I overheard two of my coworkers discussing where he wanted to and should go. One of them, who I was not very fond of for numerous reasons, said that he should go anywhere but New Orleans. Being a native of Louisiana and therefore a Saints fan, I chimed in, "Why not New Orleans?" She just looked at me like I was crazy saying that they finished last in the NFC the year before, not to mention the fact that he would be playing for a city that had been destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. She went on to ask why anyone would want to go play for a city that was in shambles and wouldn't be recovering anytime soon?

I thought about her yesterday as I was watching the NFC championship game. I wondered if she was eating her words. And in case you're wondering, I do realize that the Saints lost, and lost badly, but I couldn't help but feel proud for a team that has come so far in the last year. Much of the city is still in shambles and it saddens me greatly. I was in New Orleans back in September and the heart of the city is bustling again, but the east side is like a ghost town. I guess if a football team can be such an inspiration for the city, then anything is possible.

----------
On Saturday, I woke up (really, really early) and went to my regular yoga class at Bodhi. And to my surprise, Margaret was teaching (yay!). I practiced with her on Thursday so it was really nice to actually take a class from her, something I haven't had the opportunity to do in over a year. She's really grown as a teacher. She has this way about her that makes you want to push yourself to your edge, but she does this with a softness that I haven't experienced from any other yoga teacher. She's not militant at all in her teaching and that's so refreshing. She just lets you be.

So then I went home for a little while and trucked it down to Castle Hill Fitness for Hannah's Detox and Recharge workshop. Hello, toxins! We did lots of really intense breathing and let all those toxins out. I wish I could see a picture of all the toxins in my body. I think I take pretty good care of myself--I don't smoke, I eat well, and I exercise--but I'm not a non-drinking vegan. I wonder if I saw a picture of what could be considered the toxins in my body if I would change my attitude about how I treat my body. But I love food and I really love me some wine, so ya know, I'm doing pretty good. And the class was awesome. What a great day I had. I wish I could do four hours of yoga every single day. And then Saturday night, I slept longer and better than I had in months. I fell asleep on the couch at 9:00 for about 30 minutes, got in the bed and didn't wake up until about 7:00! That is so exciting for me.

---------
The 2008 Presidential campaign is up and running. If there is a person who embodies everything that I think our country's leader should represent, it is Senator Barack Obama. I just started his book The Audacity of Hope. Obama for President, '08!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home