Friday, January 12, 2007

Oh, the irony

Yoga teachers like to stand in front of a class and say things like, "The mirror is there as a tool for you but don't let it be a crutch," and "It's not about what the pose looks like," and other various statements that are all pertaining to yoga not being about your ego. And they do this as they stand there in a $300 yoga outfit by Lululemon. I find so much irony in this. Sure, the quality of the clothing is better, but so is the quality of Prana and their clothes are half the price of Lululemon's. Maybe I should have started this whole blog off by saying that I don't own any Lululemon because I can't afford it and I don't pretend I can afford it by putting it on a credit card that I'll never pay off in full. Still, I just think that owning thousands of dollars of Lululemon gear has just a little to do with ego.

2 Comments:

Blogger vanessa said...

You may not know this and it may be besides the point, but yoga teachers get a discount at Lulu and they give teachers free gear too for doing things like participating in design panels. That, and personally, I find their clothing lasts a lot longer than other brands (Nike excluded) so if you forego eating for a week so you can throw down $80 for a pair of freakin' yoga pants, at least you'll have a few years in 'em.
Another ( albeit, unsolicited) hint: whenever a teacher has some adage, know that they teach what they want to learn. Simply, they may be speaking to someone in the class, but also to themselves. In this way, taking someone's class is like reading their diary. Mwah ha ha ha ha. It doesn't make incongruency (or the difference between words and actions) any less annoying, but it can make it kinda fun. :-)

2:55 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Thanks for the kind explanation. I suppose I am a tad bit jealous that there are so many teachers and students who practice in Lululemon and I get most of my stuff from Target. (Who's got the ego problem now?) I do have some Nike dri-fit stuff and yes, it rocks. I'll think about not eating for a week so I can buy some Lulu, but I really like food.

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home