Thursday, January 11, 2007

War, huh, good god y'all...

It's official. I use way too many commas in my writing. I guess it's the old student in me trying to make everything look and sound grammatically correct. This is really silly because in my masters program, my professors taught us that good grammar doesn't always equal good writing. Yes proper grammar is important, but a good gramartician (is that even word?) does not a good writer always make. Or whatever. Anyway, I'll try to chill out with the commas. Promise.

---------------
I'm not surprised that President Bush wants to send more troops into Iraq. I was talking with my coworker about the whole situation over there. She and I are both emphatically opposed to the war and always have been, but she was wondering why there are so many people who were for it at the beginning and who are opposed to it now. She wants to know what the turning point was for those people because if she had been for the war, she would agree that sending more troops into Iraq is the right course of action. I said that I thought maybe it was the length of time it's taking is one reason why people are now opposed to it. And she said that if the goal is to create a democracy, then the length of time shouldn't matter. Huh...good point. We both believe that it doesn't matter how long we're over there; those people don't want a democracy and they will always be fighting. I think that Americans' emotions got the best of them when this war started, which is why they were for it in the beginning but aren't for it now. I don't think that Congress should cut off funding, though. What good would that do? Then, our troops are over there alone and with nothing. Why can't both Republicans and Democrats in political offices rise above all the bullshit and try to work together? I don't understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home