Thursday, January 03, 2008

Undone

In an attempt to undo what I did to my body on New Year's Eve (or if I'm being honest with myself, the entire month of December), I went to two yoga classes yesterday. It was my last day of the University's holiday, so I felt like I should take advantage of going to a class I can't normally attend. So, after I went to Sean's class at Bodhi, I went to Charly Pivert's Anusara class at Clear Spring Studio. What a cute little place! It's totally hidden on this side street off of South 1st. I have been wanting to go to Charly's class for a while now upon Hannah's suggestion, but he teaches like three times a week and from noon to 1:30 during the middle of the week. That's not very convenient for a working girl. The class was great. And it was hard. Anusara is so different from Vinyasa, but I like it very much. It's very methodical and all about alignment, but I feel like I could really build some strength if I practiced it more often. In Vinyasa, the teacher often says things like, "Just go, don't think about it." Mainly because it's a quick-paced practice, but in Anusara, you are supposed to think about where you are placing your hands, your feet, your arms, etc. This results in holding poses longer and breaking the poses down in ways that I've never experienced in a Vinyasa class. I doubt I'll be able to attend too many more of Charly's classes, but there are other teachers around town that I might start practicing with. I'm not sure if that one day undid the damage that my body has encountered over the past month, but hopefully by the end of January, I'll be well on my way.

1 Comments:

Blogger vanessa said...

Sorry I missed you too! So glad you happened upon an Anusara class. It's cool learning new tricks to the same old postures, huh?!

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home