Sunday, April 06, 2008

Romanticism

It's been almost an entire week since I last posted. That's bad. The Law School's Reunion, which is my huge project, is next Saturday. It will finally have come and gone. That's good. Maybe my phone at work will quit ringing and I'll be able to stop answering questions that can easily be found on the website. I'm just ready for it to be over.

-------
My church is currently in a series of messages titled "Mad Love." It's about relationships, all kinds of relationships. Last week's message was about communication, which you find in all kinds of relationships. John, the pastor, said that communication is about much more than just words. It's also about body language which is why email is never, never the way to resolve a conflict. Very true.

Anyway, today's message was about flexibility. He focused on marriages and so I was constantly thinking about how Cody is much more flexible than I am...in our marriage, not in the hamstrings. Get it. Sorry, that was bad. Anyway, John asked us to rate on the following scale where our family was in terms of flexibility when we were growing up: A. Rigid; B. Somewhat Rigid; C. Flexible; D. Very Flexible; or E. Overly Flexible. I rated my family somewhere between B and C and Cody's somewhere between D and E.

So, while I could probably be a touch more flexible in our marriage, I think I have brought a structure to his life that wasn't necessarily there before. Not that he was some loose cannon, because he wasn't...at least not when we met. But he has a very laid-back attitude that I don't necessarily have, which is what he has brought to my life...and so much more.

I think we compliment each other nicely. Is our marriage perfect? Hell no. Actually, I dislike that word strongly. Perfect. It's annoying. So is the word normal. My mom throws that word around a lot. Anyway, we're not perfect and I'm certain we're not normal, but we are good together. I don't believe in soul mates. It's a nice idea, but a little romantic for me. I believe that Cody and I are together for a number of reasons but not because of destiny. We work at loving each other. Being in love is easy. Knowing how to love is the hard part. And I think we do an okay job of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home