Monday, March 31, 2008

Comfort Zone

A few weeks ago, I tried a drop-back by myself. It's when you go from standing and literally "drop back" into wheel. I've done this several times with a spot, namely Bruce who always says, "You don't need me." So, I thought what the hell, maybe I don't need him. Well, I made it down there but I went down really quickly and my hands hit the ground too fast. I know this because I jammed my back and it hurt for two days. Now I'm scared to do it alone.

So then one day in Hannah's class I came up to standing from wheel and she asked if I could go back. I told her my story of trying it on my own and the class was really crowded so she said maybe we could work on it some other time. So on Saturday after class, I asked her what the key was. She explained some mechanics to me and the tricks are getting into your legs, squeezing your shins in, puffing up in the chest and getting the deepest backbend you can before you reach your arms above your head to go back.

Okay, so then I went to her class yesterday and we were doing some stuff against the wall. She asked me to demonstrate the back-drop with her help. My whole body was shaking. I think I was nervous because everyone was staring at me. I usually don't get nervous when I demonstrate poses but I think it's because I'm usually demonstrating poses that I'm comfortable in. Wheel-no problem; forearm stand-I've got you covered; camel-bring it on; dropback-I'm scared as hell.

Anyway, it was a lesson for me in getting out of my comfort zone in yoga class, a setting where I usually feel very at home. Good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home