Thursday, March 27, 2008

My generation

I went to Hannah's yoga class last night. Picture me getting my ass kicked all over Bodhi's studio and you will have a clear image of what the class was like. At first I thought she might be in a really bad mood or mad at us or something. I think she gets frustrated that many yoga students, or people in general, don't listen. The style of yoga she's teaching involves very different principles than the styles that most long-term yoga students have learned, myself included. They get used to doing and hearing the same things in every class so when a teacher with a different style comes in, the students don't listen and just revert back to what they know. But that's the nature of people, right, so I think you just have to adapt to that and be patient. I will say that since I've been learning these alignment principles of Anusara yoga, my practice has exploded and I can do things I never could before.

-------
Have you seen that commercial for Chase Bank where a wife walks into her den and says to her husband, "You're right. We need a new tv." Then you hear Queen's "I Want it All" and it cuts to the husband at an electronic store looking at the biggest television any human could view with his or her own eyes. Well, that song came on in my spin class yesterday and I thought about that commercial. I also thought that should be the theme song for my generation. We want what it took our parents 20 years to get. The big, new, fancy house; the coolest cars; the best gadgets, etc.

I see this especially when I go back home to Monroe. There are people my age living in "starter homes" that make my home look like a trailer. The cost of living is much cheaper there, yes, but I'm talking top-of-the-line appliances, flooring, decorations, you name it. It's like a competition there. A lot of these people were given things when they younger, so you might expect that they would acquire nice things as adults. But I also see it in my group of friends that I'm closest with now, and most of them worked and paid their own through college and didn't have everything handed to them.

My friend Joanna told me that she thought Cody and I were the least materialistic out of our entire group. She might be right, but we certainly do like nice things and we have the consolidated debt to prove it. But we have learned what we can and cannot have.

Sometimes I go home to my parents' house and they have bought a new big screen television or renovated something on the house or they take a trip to Vegas. They never did these things when we were growing up. I have come to realize that this is their time. Both of their kids are out of the house and married, so they should be able to do the things that they want. I hope that we can tell our children that their time will come eventually, but that the "I Want it All" mentality won't fly in our house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home