Monday, September 24, 2007

Jena

I don't have much time, so I will be brief. Being from a small to mid-sized town in Louisiana, the recent happenings in Jena have really hit home. As I have experienced many emotions reading through the articles reporting on the incidents, I have mostly experienced sadness. I am sad that the people of the city of Jena and of all of Louisiana have not taught their children not to look at the color of someone's skin when they see a person. I am sad that racism is still so prevalent in my home state and all over the country. I am sad that when I go home I hear the "n" word as if it's a part of people's everyday vocabulary. But most of all I am sad that both white and black people feed the racism without even realizing that they're doing it. Each side blames the other. It's as if it is a war, and a never ending war at that. Frankly, I don't understand any of it. When I look at a person, I do not see the color of his or her skin. It's not about being liberal or conservative; it's about being a human being. And that's what I will teach my children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home