Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Does prayer work?

My friends Nicki and Brett had their first child Sunday night. Her name is Camille and, according to Brett, the most beautiful girl he's ever seen. Unfortunately, Camille has a rare blood clotting disorder and she doesn't have enough platelets. Apparently, a normal platelet count is over 100,000 and Camille only has about 18,000. If she were to get cut or bruised, her blood wouldn't clot; instead she wouldn't be able to stop bleeding and would probably die, so she's in NICU right now. She will be getting Nicki's platelets transfused to her, but can't be released until then.

This past Sunday, our pastor at church wrapped up a four-week series on prayer. We covered many questions that people have about prayer--the two that apply to this particular blog are: Does God hear our prayers, and if so, does He answer them? I believe that He always hears our prayers, but I'm not so sure if He always answers. I used to believe that He did always answer, but that it's not always the answer you want to hear. I think you really have to be praying from your heart for Him to actually answer and that you are willing to accept that the answer God gives to your prayer might not be the one you want to receive. Most of us aren't willing to accept that.

Regardless, I will be praying for my friends and their daughter. Not everyone believes in God or prayer, and that's fine. But I do and I know that God has blessed my friends with this beautiful little girl for a reason. So, does God answer our prayers--hopefully, I'll find out real soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger vanessa said...

excellent blog. I tend to think similar to your sentiment -- that God always answers, but that sometimes when we're asking for something we also try and dictate the *how* or the *when* -- and those seem to be the variables that are unknown. Anyway, I'll be thinking of your friends too.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Thanks. Wow. Didn't know anyone was actually reading. Cool!

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home