Monday, October 23, 2006

Kinda down

As the title of this blog implies, my spirits are a little low today. I always get this way after spending several days with my family or friends because each group lives far away. I'll always have just one family, so there's not much I can do about that, but I know what you're thinking--just make new friends! Really, it's not that simple. I've lived in Austin for over five years now, and while I've made friends here and there, I don't have a group of friends like I did in Baton Rouge.

When I first moved to Baton Rouge from my hometown of Monroe, LA back in 2000, I never expected to create such a strong bond with such an amazing group of people. For ten years, I worked in the restaurant industry off and on and, for the most part, it was the same thing at every restaurant that employed me. I'd hang out with people who worked there for a while, then I would leave and lose touch with them or never talk to them again. That didn't happen when I was working at Sullivan's Steakhouse in Baton Rouge. My group of friends already had members, and I was lucky enough to become one of them. Not at first; it took me a while to become close to some of them, like my friend Joanna. But eventually, I became part of a group that has changed my life in so many ways.


I needed the change five years ago when I moved to Austin with my friends Nicki and Brett, who are part of "the gang". Although it made me more sad that I could have ever imagined, it was time to move on for a number of reasons that I won't get into. Angie and Joanna moved to Atlanta, while a few stayed in Baton Rouge. Now, not one member of the gang lives in Baton Rouge, although Nicki and Brett moved back to the area. We live as far east as Asheville and as far west as San Diego, so we plan trips once a year. Our next trip is in May and we're headed back to Florida. Planning it and looking forward to it is half the fun, but man, I need a huge dosage of th
e gang so badly right now!

I've posted a picture of our first trip two years ago. (The quality isn't great because my scanner sucks!) We rented some cabins in Arkansas and just hung out in the middle of nowhere for three days. It's interesting how people can be so different, yet so close. We have different beliefs, both religious and political, and we are all at different points in our lives. But I think that these are some of the most intelligent, brave, kind, caring, and amazing people I've ever met, each in his or her own way. I hope they know what a difference they've made in my life and that I am all the better for having known them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home